Notes


Matches 3,901 to 3,950 of 3,979

      «Prev «1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 Next»

   Notes   Linked to 
3901 When their son William Fenton Gridleman died Mary Ann was described as his widowed mother.  Gridgeman, James (I14042)
 
3902 When they married they had eloped and I think they wed in Taihape. Dorothy came from a well-to-do English family and it was frowned upon for her to wed Don who was adopted.
Claire Taunton 
Family F9622
 
3903 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Berry, R.M. (I2741)
 
3904 Whitby Rest Home Crilly, Jean Ivy (I13628)
 
3905 WHITSON Archibald James Stansfield (S) 1931-1934
Once of Palmerston North. S of A. XV 34. XI 33-34. Farmer. War II
S/Sgt 22Bn Middle East. M 1940 Joyce, d of H.H.Ahearn, 1s 2d.
[M] 
Whitson, Archibald James Stansfield (I12650)
 
3906 Who's Who in New Zealand 1938
Donald JAMES
Sheep Farmer and breeder of purebred stock, Kamahi, Rangitumau, via Masterton, NZ. Member Masterton Agricultural and Pastoral Association. Born: Masterton, 5th April 1891. Son of Henry and Isabella (nee McKenzie) James of Cardiff, Wales, and Rothshire, Scotland, respectively who arrived in NZ and took up Wangaehu station.
Education: Wairarapa High School. Commenced his career with his father on Wangaehu. During the Great War he enlisted with the NZ Expeditionary Forces serving with Divisional Signal Service. Returning to NZ in 1919 he went to Wangaehu and later to his present home. Kamahi, situated on the Kopuaranga River is noted for its black faced lambs and fat cattle.
Here he has established a stud of pure Southdown sheep on D.J. Cooper?s blood - registered in the NZ Flock Book No. 1060.
Married: Gladys Esther, youngest daughter of John Lincoln Murray of Australia, later retired sheep farmer, of Wainui-o-Mapu station, Bideford, NZ, 1921. Issue: Two daughters, Juliet Murray and Josephine Esther.
Recreations: Shooting, represented his school at football. Creed: Church of England. Home address: ?Kamahi? Rantitumau, via Masterton, NZ.
 
James, Donald (I481)
 
3907 Who's Who in New Zealand 1938
John McKenzie JAMES
Sheep Farmer, Owner of Wangaehu station, Masterton. President, Masterton Agricultural and Pastoral Association; President Masterton Branch of NZ Farmers? Union. Member of Committee and Steward, Masterton Racing Club. Member, Masterton Unemployed Committee. Born Masterton, NZ, 1879,
Son of Henry James of Cardiff, Wales, who arrived in NZ and took up Wangaehu station and Isabella (nee McKenzie) James of Rothshire, Scotland. Educated: Masterton. Commenced his career on Wangaehu with his father and later managed same till the death of his father when he took over the property. Wangaehu is a property of 2000 acres of hilly country situated on the Wangaehu stream, carrying Romney-Lincoln sheep. Here he has established a stud of purebred Hereford cattle, progeny of which he sells to the outside public. He is the Judge at the Royal Agricultural Society?s show for Hereford cattle and fat cattle sections.
Married: Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Falloon, Sheep Farmer of Masterton.
Member, Royal Agricultural and Pastoral Association, also member of Masterton, Carterton, Palmerston North., Hawke?s Bay and Dannevirke Agricultural and Pastoral Associations. Recreations: Golf and shooting. Creed: Presbyterian. Home address: ?Wangaehu? station, Masterton, NZ.
 
James, John McKenzie (I5533)
 
3908 Who's Who in New Zealand 1938
William JAMES
Sheep Farmer of 'Moata', Upper Plain, and 'Wai-iti' Masterton, NZ. Member Committee, Masterton A &P Association; Member, Southdown Sheep Breeders' Association, NZ. Born: Masterton 1883.
Son of Hy. James of Cardiff, Wales, who came to NZ and took up 'Wangaehu' station and Isabella (nee McKenzie) James of Rothshire, Scotland.
Educated: Wangaehu. Gained pastoral experience with his father on 'Woodlands' station till 1920, when he purchased 'Wai-iti' a farming property situated alongside the Wangaehu River where he specialises in sheep and cattle. The 'Wai-iti' stud of Southdown sheep, registered in the NZ Flock Book No 763 was founded in 1928 by the purchase of the whole of Mrs. E.L. McGregor's flock, comprising 241 mixed aged ewes and 127 ewe lambs.
In 1929 purchased 'Moata' a mixed farming property. Specialising in fat lambs he has me with great success having on two occasions won the ?Fitters' Cup, a trophy presented for the best lamb most suitable for the Home market. Also won The Argentine Cup for the Grand Champion Pen, all breeds.
Married: Kate Doris, daughter of Henry Beloe Crawford, Barrister of Oamaru, NZ, 1919. Issue: One son, Henry Allen, and one daughter, Mary Elizabeth.
Member, Masterton Club and Masterton Racing Club. Creed: Church of England. Home address: 'Moata', Upper Plain, Masterton, NZ.
 
James, William (I16847)
 
3909 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Finnerty, V.J. (I8985)
 
3910 Widow aged 43 years
Cause of Death
- Morbus Cardis
- Gastric Catarrh 
Tate, Sarah Elizabeth (I11887)
 
3911 Widow of Ramsay Scott, Alison (I13644)
 
3912 Will of W.Heumann.....William Heumann, tailor, deceased, who died at Bathurst St, Hobart on or about 26th day of Nov,1881, administration of all effects to Christina Phillipina Heuman, widow of deceased,and sole executor.
I, William Heumann, tailor, of Campbell St, leave all to wife but if wife predeceases me, the all goes to Joseph Bidencope, tailor, and Paul Peters, bootmaker, of Hobart. Also,Joseph Bidencope and P Peters are executors.
Burial at New Town Baptist, New Town, Tasmania.
Bidencope, Joseph (18371915), tailor, was born in Poland, the son of a tailor, and lived in England before emigrating to Tasmania in 1857. He was employed as a tailor in Hobart, and soon opened his own business.
Bidencope's became well-known for general fashions, and was patronised by Hobart's elite. The firm also made military and other uniforms for the Tasmanian government. Hats were made at a factory in Battery Point, from felt imported from England and later from rabbitskins. They were sold throughout Tasmania and in Sydney.
Joseph Bidencope had nine children from two marriages, and the garden of the family home, Barton Vale at Knocklofty, was considered a showpiece. Joseph Bidencope passed the business on to his sons, and it remained in the family for several generations. 
Campbell, Elizabeth Rose (Betty) (I567)
 
3913 Will of W.Heumann.....William Heumann, tailor, deceased, who died at Bathurst St, Hobart on or about 26th day of Nov,1881, administration of all effects to Christina Phillipina Heuman, widow of deceased,and sole executor.
I, William Heumann, tailor, of Campbell St, leave all to wife but if wife predeceases me, the all goes to Joseph Bidencope, tailor, and Paul Peters, bootmaker, of Hobart. Also,Joseph Bidencope and P Peters are executors.
Burial at New Town Baptist, New Town, Tasmania.
Bidencope, Joseph (18371915), tailor, was born in Poland, the son of a tailor, and lived in England before emigrating to Tasmania in 1857. He was employed as a tailor in Hobart, and soon opened his own business.
Bidencope's became well-known for general fashions, and was patronised by Hobart's elite. The firm also made military and other uniforms for the Tasmanian government. Hats were made at a factory in Battery Point, from felt imported from England and later from rabbitskins. They were sold throughout Tasmania and in Sydney.
Joseph Bidencope had nine children from two marriages, and the garden of the family home, Barton Vale at Knocklofty, was considered a showpiece. Joseph Bidencope passed the business on to his sons, and it remained in the family for several generations. 
Hyman\Heumann, William\Wimar (I14977)
 
3914 Will proved 11 August 1838. Runnalls, Henry (I4316)
 
3915 William (Tim) Edinborough Tankersley, Tim was born at Nurse Spellman's Nursing home in Masterton on 30 June 1907, son of William and Lizzie (nee Chamberlain) Tankersley. Tim attended Wairarapa District High School until he was 16 when due to the death of his father he had to take over running "Glenside," the family farm. This was in 1923.
He was married in 1935 to Winifred Audrey Reynolds.
Tim had an extensive workshop, and many a time people round the district had called on him for help when they had mechanical problems.
Tim was involved in the construction of the Maraekakaho School baths, the Mangatahi School tennis courts, and extensions and renovations to the Maraekakaho Hall and various other local amenities.
Tim was an advisory member of the Young Farmers club and organised ploughing and shearing competitions. He was a keen member of the Poporangi Rifle club and the Maraekakaho Miniature Rifle Club and was a member of a local team that won a Hawke's Bay rifle shooting competition. Tim also played indoor bowls.
Up until his death on Sunday 27 September 1987, at age 80, Tim was an active farmer and still drove around the farm in his diesel truck each day feeding the Turkeys and cattle. It was said at the time of his death that Tim was the last of his age group to farm in the area. Wyn had died on 1 September 1987 just under four weeks before Tim.
Tim and Wyn had four children Robert, Janice, Patricia, and Raewyn. At the time of Tim's death Robert was leasing and farming part of "Glenside."
Mr tankersley was survived by a son, Robert Edinburgh Tankersley, a member of the Founders' Society, three daughters and nine grandchildren.
Thanks to Helen Tankersley for these notes. 
Tankersley, William Edinborough (Tim) (I306)
 
3916 William Alfred Liverton Bachelor Farmer 26yrs Rangitikei(at present Waiwetu
Elizabeth Jane Sykes Spinster 20yrs & 11 months
Person giving consent for minor George Sykes, father
Residence of Mr William Sykes, farmer, Waiwetu
Marriage Cert issued 01 Sep 1866.
Source Return of Certificates issued under the Marriage Act 1854. National Archives Wellington  
Family F13557
 
3917 William and Betsy spent the early years at Karori, he as a labourer, possibly still with Mr Harrison, who had property there. It is not recorded whether he followed the advice of a letter in the New Zealand Gazette of 1 December 1843: 'Furze Seeds. This is the season for taking. There are few more important plants to cultivate in New Zealand. Once established it needs no further care.' The eventual covering of Tinakori Hill bears witness to someone having followed the instructions!

By 1845 William had moved up to Three Rivers, Hutt. Their location was subsequently given as Waiwhetu River and his occupation as a farmer. Relations between Europeans and Maoris there were normally good, but on Sunday 1 May 1846 William's and 13 neighbouring families were attacked and stripped of all their belongings, although not hurt physically. These attacks and those in the Hutt Valley caused great concern, even more when Andrew Gillespie was murdered, followed by the carnage at Boulcott's Farm. When the situation was under control, William's loss, estimated at 9 15s, was reimbursed to the extent of 5 8s 8d by private contributions, it was brought up to 6 6s 2d by the government. They stuck it out for a number of years and prospered, but sometime after 1863 they emigrated to Australia and lost touch with the New Zealand branch of the family.
Phil Sykes 
Sykes, William (I239)
 
3918 William and Frederick are twins, Birth Registered in Dannevirke Sunnex, William Lawrence (I2814)
 
3919 William and Lila's second child was still born and Lila died giving birth. Gregor, Son (I631)
 
3920 William and Sarah's marriage was a joining of two long term St Breward families, and perhaps shows a level of acceptance of William's situation...........
Sarah's maternal grandparents and William's paternal Great Grandparents had both been married in St Breward.
For a time they continued the tradition, their first three children were all baptised in St Breward. However William was a Christian Bible Preacher and they started to move around. Sarah their fourth child was born in Saltash which is across Bodkin Moor from St Breward and just a few miles from St Dominic where Sarah's father Thomas was baptised. As to the birthplace of their 5th child Jane we have no idea presumably somewhere in Cornwall or at least the South West of England. Sarah continued the family tradition. Sarah was married in Callington in 1834 and by 1839 when they applied to come to New Zealand was living in St Dominic.
 
Runnalls, William (I19)
 
3921 William Anderson Dewe 25 May 1924 - 21 December 2003 Margaret Isabel Dewe nee Seaton 13 April 1923 - 8 September 2007 Dewe, William Anderson (I8522)
 
3922 William Anderson Dewe 25 May 1924 - 21 December 2003 Margaret Isabel Dewe nee Seaton 13 April 1923 - 8 September 2007 Seaton, Margaret Isabel (I8665)
 
3923 William Charles SUNNEX
Maraea HEKE
 
Family F13801
 
3924 William Cook went to work for the very well to do WA Liverton and fell in love with his daughter Mary. WA did not think William was a viable suiter and would not allow them to wed. William and Mary eloped one night and moved to Kairanga near Palmerston North where he set up a farm. As far as our family records show William and Mary Cook did not have any contact with the Liverton side of the family after eloping and going against WA's wishes.
David Manning 
Liverton, Mary (I13676)
 
3925 William Cruickshank
?, #478127, b. 1855, d. 1938
Last Edited=20 Feb 2012
William Cruickshank was born in 1855 at McDuff, Banffshire, Scotland.1 William Cruickshank was the child of William Cruickshank. William Cruickshank married Mary Ann Brown, child of James Brown and unknown wife (?), in 1881 at Akaroa, New Zealand. William Cruickshank died in 1938 at Eketahuna, New Zealand.
How William arrived in NZ is still a mystery. However, there is a family tradition that he worked on sailing ships and on his second trip he "jumped ship" and stayed. According to Gary son of Roy he was only 12 when he arrived, hiding in a Barrell until his ship left port. This would be aged about 12. Apparently he had been orphaned at an early age and started working on ships age 8 or 9 He could only speak Gaelic on arrival in NZ
While in Akaroa he worked in a sawmill. The family moving around different areas on Banks Peninsular.
William and Mary spent the latter part of their lives farming near Eketahuna. They are both buried in Eketahuna.
Source http://thepeerage.com/p47813.htm  
Cruickshank, William (I16379)
 
3926 William Edinborough Chamberlain was born in Daventry, England on 7 June 1832 the eldest child of Sussannah Catherine (nee Bull) and Thomas Chamberlain. William was married in Masterton, on 18 June 1861 to Elizabeth Jemima Kibblewhite. Elizabeth was born on 22 September 1845 in Porirua.

The house where William's Parents first lived in Wellington was situated on the Main Karori Road, opposite Sydney Street, between St Mary Street and Lewisville Terrace.

From there they went to the Karori or Tinakori Hills. The house being situated on the far side of the hill on which the present wireless station stands, to the west of the Wireless Station building. Their land stretched from just west of the Wireless Station, almost to the Tram Tunnel in Karori Road Valley with one boundary fence crossing the road to the present Gardens.

From Tinakori, they moved to a farm called Parkvale, between Karori and Makara. A man named Crawford sawed the timber for the roof. Jones split the shingles and Shepherd shingled the roof.

It was in 'Parkvale' Bush about three miles from Karori that Father's leg was broken. (Wm. Edinborough Chamberlain.)

Grandfather rented a house in Mulgrave Street, from Mrs Hempleman (whose husband was captain of a whaler) so the Father?s leg could get proper attention. The leg was cut off with a saw and buried in that backyard.

Father's youngest sister Susannah was buried in Karori Cemetery by the Wesleyan Church, and the County Council offices of Karori now stands upon the site.

Grandfather had a section with 60ft frontage (for which he gave 1 per foot) on the corner of Hawkestone & Molesworth Streets; Father sold it for 200.

There was also a section in Queen Street, Masterton, which became the site of the Queens Hotel, which Father sold for 12.

The Maoris at Te Ore Ore Pah called William Edinborough Chamberlain, Pakeha Waiwairaka (the white man with the wooden leg).

In and around Masterton Father superintended the buildings and the erection of the following bridges.

Waipoua - Ruawahanga - Taneru - Waingawa - Whareama and the cylinder bridge over the Rangitikei River at Marton, called the Onepuki.

Around 1878 William moved to Fielding where he set up the first Flour Mill in the town on a site in Kimbolton Road. He was a man of many parts, and even while conducting his flour mill business he was engaged as overseer for the construction of the Oroua Bridge. When this was completed however, he handed over the mill to his two sons Thomas Richard and Edward Herbert, with Thomas as Manager.

William turned his energies to local-body work. The inaugural meeting of the Fielding Borough Council was held on 15 August 1881 and resent among others to make the necessary declarations was Councillor W. E. Chamberlain. Ill health seems to have dogged William in these endeavours; he resigned from Council on just a little over three months later on 1 December 1881. In late July 1882 he was elected unopposed to the position of Mayor of Fielding. However his health continued to give him trouble and he was frequently granted leave of absence from meetings. In August Cr Leithbridge was appointed the council's delegate to the Wanganui Hospital Management Board in the place of the Mayor, William, who was indisposed. In August and September Crs Higgins and Leithbridge deputised for the Mayor in his absence. In November 1882 when the Annual Election for Mayor was held William did not stand.[1]

He died on 31 January 1885 and is buried in Fielding. Elizabeth died on 22 March 1901 in Fielding.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Source Pioneering to Prosperity 1874-1974, A centennial History of the Manchester Block, by D A Davis and R E Clevely.

 
Chamberlain, William Edinborough (I4707)
 
3927 William Gregor was born on 5 JUN 1888 in Memsie near Fraserburgh, Scotland.

He served an apprenticeship as a carpenter and joiner in his father's shop in Memsie, which still exists (1996), as does the family home. See photos. The shop must have been a well equipped one in its day, for a country business.

As well as the usual woodworking machinery, there was a machine for boring tree trunks for water pumps, and for manufacture and repair of wagon wheels. The machinery was powered by a paraffin (kerosene) engine, with "hot bulb" ignition. The engine would be started each morning with a blowlamp, and would run all day. They were also the local undertakers. Early memories he spoke of included the building of the Forth Bridge and the construction of the first intercontinental radio station in Britain, which was near Memsie and was supervised by Marconi.

He joined the Gordon Highlanders Volunteers, and recalled weekend shoots on the rifle range and with a horse drawn Lewis Heavy Machinegun. Leam Graham has his Regimental kilt. On completion of his apprenticeship, (probably about 1903) he moved to Glasgow, where his brother Andrew was serving in the Govan Police. He did jobbing carpentering work, 44 hours a week, for which he was paid pounds 2-0-6d per week.

In 1912 he emigrated to New Zealand in the NZS Co steamship Turakina, the same ship his brother Andrew had already travelled to NZ in. On arrival he went to live with Andrew, his wife and two baby daughters in the No 2 Police Station in Carterton, in Richmond Rd. behind the Anglican Church.

In 1915 he volunteered for war service, but was turned down medically unfit, due to an old knee injury. The following year he made a second attempt, and went to a Greytown doctor for his medical, and was accepted. There was a lot of pressure on young men to serve in the army in WW1. He was attested on 23 Oct 1916 and went into Featherston Camp on 2 Jan 1917, as did Archie Wyeth, #440. They immediately become friends, and when volunteers were called for a few days later for the N.Z. Rifle Brigade, they both volunteered. On 21 Jan 1917 they moved to Trentham camp (by Route March) to join B Coy.,4th Battalion N.Z.R.B. On 10 Mar 1917 they embarked on a troopship, identity not known, for England. On 29 April 1917 they arrived in 'Sling Camp' on 29 April.

Alex Gregor 
Gregor, William (I629)
 
3928 William Henry was a porter on the South-east railways

!CHRISTENING: Kent Family History Society, St. Mary Minster(Microfische 412)
1853-1902; ; ; ; ; 1 _MEDI Microfische

!MARRIAGE:Kent Family History Society, St. Mary Minster Marriages (Microfische
419) 1837-1903; ; ; ; ; 1 _MEDI Microfische 
Fuller, William Henry (I9848)
 
3929 William Henry went missing at the age of 18 SIEVERS, William Henry (I12724)
 
3930 William is recorded as a son of George and Marianne in the 1871 Census but did not travel to New Zealand with them in 1880. Kelk, William Phillipson (I15722)
 
3931 William is recorded as Luxdon and Elizabeth Ellen as Ellen Family F3725
 
3932 William John Hyslop
Hyslop William John (Bill) Reg No 43055 24 Bat. 2 NZEF- At Lansdowne Court, Masterton on November 15 2006, in his 87th year.Loved husband of Mary (Deceased)and Marion. Loved father and father-In-law of Jan and Peter Wyeth, Sue and Rob Burridge, Chris and the late Jim Crutchley, Penny and Peter Gawith, Bill and Margaret, David and Lyn. Proud grandfather of all his grandchildren and one great grandson. Special thanks to the staff of Lansdowne Court for their wonderful care of our father. Messages to 6 Wingate Road, RD 11Opaki, Masterton. in lieu of flowers donations to the Lansdowne Court Patients Welfare Fund which may beleft in the church foyer would be appreciated. Friends are invited to attendBill's funeral service in St Matthew's Anglican Church, Church Street, Masterton on Monday, November 20 at 11:00am followed by private cremation in Masterton. Wairarapa Funeral Service FDANZ Griefcare Masterton.
 
Hyslop, William John (I13568)
 
3933 William married as
John William Thomson 
Family F4298
 
3934 William Oliver BAYLISS bn c1869. He married Blanche CURTIS (under her previous married name of ORTON)at the Registrar's Office, Wanganui on 6 Jul 1909. Blanche had divorced her first husband Willoughby ORTON earlier in that year. William and Blanche had one daughter, Ngaire Blanche BAYLISS, c 1913 (a Wellington registration).
Source Peter Williams, Lower Hutt 2 Mar 2008
pgwilliams@paradise.net.nz 
Family F13635
 
3935 William Oliver migrated to Canada with his father and brother, Robert, to Workworth in Ontario. Oliver and his two sons migrated to Manitoulin Island (Barrie Island). There he lived until he died in 1895. Runnalls, Oliver (I4335)
 
3936 William Tankersley born 26 August 1876 married Lizzie Chamberlain 2nd Daughter 3rd child of Elizabeth (nee Wyeth) and Samuel Chamberlain. After sharing work on the family farm - "Forest Home" - he farmed at Rangitumau until his marriage to Lizzie Chamberlain in 1906. After several years farming at Neuman, he managed ?Dunvegan? at Mt Bruce from 1910-1920. In 1921 he purchased the farm "Glenside" at Mangatahi, near Hastings. Following his death on 23 August 1923 at the age of 46 years, his son William (Tim) - then only 16 years - managed the farm with the help of brother Robert and sister Helen. Tim remained at "Glenside' where he died in 1987 at 80 years of age. His son Robert now manages the property.

 
Tankersley, William (I304)
 
3937 Wilson Spite on Walter Spite
Date: 4 Nov 1992 - 04 Nov 1992 By: Spite, Wilson Garfield
Wilson Spite records memories of his father Walter Garfield Spite who was born in Ravensbourne on 8 June 1887. Describes his father's family background, education, sporting interests, family cars and his career, starting as a clerk and then becoming an agent at Otautau. Explains why he was admitted by the Society of Accountants when it first started. Talks about his volunteering for World War I, being in the New Zealand Rifle Brigade at Egypt, the Somme and Passchendaele. Describes his work in Invercargill, Timaru and Waimate as a manager. Talks about his marriage to Muriel Hodges, a schoolteacher, in 1921.

Explains the origins of the New Zealand Land Company (NMA) and elaborates on how the firm worked, its agencies including shipping and its merger with Wrightsons. Talks about NMA's capital structure and efforts by Walter Garfield Spite to minimise farmers' debts in the Depression. Comments on the silting up of Oamaru harbour. Describes the Lease in Perpetuity (LIP) scheme and explains the wool appraisal scheme and the Mortgages Relief and Rehabilitation Act. Defines the North Otago NMA territory. Comments on the loyalty of farmers.
Venue - Oamaru : 1992
Interviewer(s) - Joy Green
Natl Library Ref: OHInt-0081/08 
Spite, Walter Garfield (I18385)
 
3938 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Wilson, J.G. (I7302)
 
3939 Window Dresser McLeay, James Finlay (Jim) (I147)
 
3940 Window Dresser/Display Artist at JR McKenzies at the same time as Gordon White was caretaker. Wyeth, Gloria Janet (I2884)
 
3941 Wises 1894-95 Joseph Jnr Carpenter Rangiora Frost, Joseph (I11819)
 
3942 With Joseph born in 1856 as per the 1861 Census returns for the family of Henry Dewe Joseph would have been just 17 when the family emmigrated to New Zealand and left him in England. Dewe, Joseph (I22406)
 
3943 Woodham, Frank v Woodham, Lily Elizabeth and Henderson, Frank 1918 - 1918 Christchurch High Court Family F318
 
3944 Woodlands Cemetery records: Charles Thompson WARDEN buried 29 Apr 1904. H WARDEN no other details known
Note: Death date is imprecise. 
Warden, Charles Thompson (I4563)
 
3945 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Crawford, G.A. (I745)
 
3946 Woolcomber Skene, Joseph (I4159)
 
3947 Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery 2006 page 21
Row K No. 213
Arthur Morton, eighth son of Elizabeth and John Ollivier, was born on 23 March 1851, emigrated with his parents and attended Christ's College from 1862-65. A popular student, he became, in adulthood, Fellow of Christ's College and, at his death, was President of the Old Boys' Association.
A businessman, Ollivier worked for several firms, eventually being in partnership with Trevor Grierson as an accountant and auditor.
Ollivier was an angler, mountaineer and gardener. In the latter field he enjoyed frequent success at Christchurch Horticultural Society shows. He played chess, being, in 1888, colonial champion. In rugby he played against Auckland and Otago.
A Canterbury representative cricketer, Ollivier first played against Otago at Hagley Park when but 16. He was chosen for his fielding ability but ?signalled his first appearance by making the only double figure - 11 - on the Canterbury side?. His batting did much to secure for Canterbury seven wins in a row. He was in the first Canterbury-Auckland match, played against the visiting English and was the most successful Canterbury batsman in a tour of Victoria in 1878. T. W. Reese wrote that Ollivier "was an admirable defensive bat and had many scores to his credit".
An injury prevented Ollivier from playing sport after 1883 but, for a number of years, he was the sole selector of Canterbury cricket teams. In 1893 he was appointed to
select the New Zealand team which played against New South Wales.
In Ollivier's youth, sporting teams met on public reserves. People came to watch and officials had to walk round begging the spectators to give money to cover the cost of the games. Arthur Ollivier pushed for the establishment of a ground which was to be owned by the sporting codes and where spectators must pay to get in. On 8 May 1880, at a meeting at Warner's Hotel it was decided that there should be floated the Canterbury Cricket and Athletic Sports Company.
Richard Harman and E. C. J. Stevens who represented offshore capitalists with money tied up in New Zealand came forward on behalf of a client, Benjamin Lancaster of Bournemouth, England. They offered land with an area of 10 acres three roods and 30 perches, the cost per acre being 260 pounds. This was part of Rural Section 62, of 50 acres, which Lancaster had purchased from the Canterbury Association in 1850.
In autumn 1881 the area was sown with Devonshire evergreen grass seed, the terrace turfed and a cinder running track laid in front of the terraces. On 28 July 1881 the
ground, now Jade Stadium, was named Lancaster Park.
Ollivier suffered a comparatively brief and painless illness, dying at 12.30 a.m. on 21 October 1897. He was 46 years old.
Officiating ministers at the funeral were Bishop Churchill Julius, Archdeacons Cholmondeley and Lingard and Canon Harper. Cricketers attended dressed in their club colours Hymns were sung by members of the St. Mark's choir, the Cathedral and Christ's College chapel boys and the Liedertafel. Messrs. Merton and Wallace conducted and C. F. Turner presided at the harmonium. The list of people who attended the funeral is a late Victorian Canterbury's who's who. Fifty-one lines of newsprint are devoted to the names of people who sent wreaths.
Arthur Morton Ollivier's gravestone was 'Erected by the Cricketers of New Zealand'.
Arthur's wife, Agnes, died on 4 February 1928.
The gravestone also recalls Hilda, wife of Keith, who died on 14 October 1937. 
Ollivier, Arthur Morton (I11868)
 
3948 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Wyeth, J.M. (I867)
 
3949 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Fraher, R.J. (I2103)
 
3950 At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. Fraher, P.A. (I2106)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 Next»