Matches 4,051 to 4,100 of 4,107
|| Linked to
||William Cook went to work for the very well to do WA Liverton and fell in love with his daughter Mary. WA did not think William was a viable suiter and would not allow them to wed. William and Mary eloped one night and moved to Kairanga near Palmerston North where he set up a farm. As far as our family records show William and Mary Cook did not have any contact with the Liverton side of the family after eloping and going against WA's wishes.|
|Liverton, Mary (I13676)
?, #478127, b. 1855, d. 1938
Last Edited=20 Feb 2012
William Cruickshank was born in 1855 at McDuff, Banffshire, Scotland.1 William Cruickshank was the child of William Cruickshank. William Cruickshank married Mary Ann Brown, child of James Brown and unknown wife (?), in 1881 at Akaroa, New Zealand. William Cruickshank died in 1938 at Eketahuna, New Zealand.
How William arrived in NZ is still a mystery. However, there is a family tradition that he worked on sailing ships and on his second trip he "jumped ship" and stayed. According to Gary son of Roy he was only 12 when he arrived, hiding in a Barrell until his ship left port. This would be aged about 12. Apparently he had been orphaned at an early age and started working on ships age 8 or 9 He could only speak Gaelic on arrival in NZ
While in Akaroa he worked in a sawmill. The family moving around different areas on Banks Peninsular.
William and Mary spent the latter part of their lives farming near Eketahuna. They are both buried in Eketahuna.
|Cruickshank, William (I16379)
||William Edinborough Chamberlain was born in Daventry, England on 7 June 1832 the eldest child of Sussannah Catherine (nee Bull) and Thomas Chamberlain. William was married in Masterton, on 18 June 1861 to Elizabeth Jemima Kibblewhite. Elizabeth was born on 22 September 1845 in Porirua.|
The house where William's Parents first lived in Wellington was situated on the Main Karori Road, opposite Sydney Street, between St Mary Street and Lewisville Terrace.
From there they went to the Karori or Tinakori Hills. The house being situated on the far side of the hill on which the present wireless station stands, to the west of the Wireless Station building. Their land stretched from just west of the Wireless Station, almost to the Tram Tunnel in Karori Road Valley with one boundary fence crossing the road to the present Gardens.
From Tinakori, they moved to a farm called Parkvale, between Karori and Makara. A man named Crawford sawed the timber for the roof. Jones split the shingles and Shepherd shingled the roof.
It was in 'Parkvale' Bush about three miles from Karori that Father's leg was broken. (Wm. Edinborough Chamberlain.)
Grandfather rented a house in Mulgrave Street, from Mrs Hempleman (whose husband was captain of a whaler) so the Father?s leg could get proper attention. The leg was cut off with a saw and buried in that backyard.
Father's youngest sister Susannah was buried in Karori Cemetery by the Wesleyan Church, and the County Council offices of Karori now stands upon the site.
Grandfather had a section with 60ft frontage (for which he gave £1 per foot) on the corner of Hawkestone & Molesworth Streets; Father sold it for £200.
There was also a section in Queen Street, Masterton, which became the site of the Queens Hotel, which Father sold for £12.
The Maoris at Te Ore Ore Pah called William Edinborough Chamberlain, Pakeha Waiwairaka (the white man with the wooden leg).
In and around Masterton Father superintended the buildings and the erection of the following bridges.
Waipoua - Ruawahanga - Taneru - Waingawa - Whareama and the cylinder bridge over the Rangitikei River at Marton, called the Onepuki.
Around 1878 William moved to Fielding where he set up the first Flour Mill in the town on a site in Kimbolton Road. He was a man of many parts, and even while conducting his flour mill business he was engaged as overseer for the construction of the Oroua Bridge. When this was completed however, he handed over the mill to his two sons Thomas Richard and Edward Herbert, with Thomas as Manager.
William turned his energies to local-body work. The inaugural meeting of the Fielding Borough Council was held on 15 August 1881 and resent among others to make the necessary declarations was Councillor W. E. Chamberlain. Ill health seems to have dogged William in these endeavours; he resigned from Council on just a little over three months later on 1 December 1881. In late July 1882 he was elected unopposed to the position of Mayor of Fielding. However his health continued to give him trouble and he was frequently granted leave of absence from meetings. In August Cr Leithbridge was appointed the council's delegate to the Wanganui Hospital Management Board in the place of the Mayor, William, who was indisposed. In August and September Crs Higgins and Leithbridge deputised for the Mayor in his absence. In November 1882 when the Annual Election for Mayor was held William did not stand.
He died on 31 January 1885 and is buried in Fielding. Elizabeth died on 22 March 1901 in Fielding.
 Source Pioneering to Prosperity 1874-1974, A centennial History of the Manchester Block, by D A Davis and R E Clevely.
|Chamberlain, William Edinborough (I4707)
||WILLIAM GEORGE BARTLETT, DIED OHURA, ON 1ST JULY 1967, AGED 58 YRS ||Bartlett, William George (I2928)
||William Gregor was born on 5 JUN 1888 in Memsie near Fraserburgh, Scotland.|
He served an apprenticeship as a carpenter and joiner in his father's shop in Memsie, which still exists (1996), as does the family home. See photos. The shop must have been a well equipped one in its day, for a country business.
As well as the usual woodworking machinery, there was a machine for boring tree trunks for water pumps, and for manufacture and repair of wagon wheels. The machinery was powered by a paraffin (kerosene) engine, with "hot bulb" ignition. The engine would be started each morning with a blowlamp, and would run all day. They were also the local undertakers. Early memories he spoke of included the building of the Forth Bridge and the construction of the first intercontinental radio station in Britain, which was near Memsie and was supervised by Marconi.
He joined the Gordon Highlanders Volunteers, and recalled weekend shoots on the rifle range and with a horse drawn Lewis Heavy Machinegun. Leam Graham has his Regimental kilt. On completion of his apprenticeship, (probably about 1903) he moved to Glasgow, where his brother Andrew was serving in the Govan Police. He did jobbing carpentering work, 44 hours a week, for which he was paid pounds 2-0-6d per week.
In 1912 he emigrated to New Zealand in the NZS Co steamship Turakina, the same ship his brother Andrew had already travelled to NZ in. On arrival he went to live with Andrew, his wife and two baby daughters in the No 2 Police Station in Carterton, in Richmond Rd. behind the Anglican Church.
In 1915 he volunteered for war service, but was turned down medically unfit, due to an old knee injury. The following year he made a second attempt, and went to a Greytown doctor for his medical, and was accepted. There was a lot of pressure on young men to serve in the army in WW1. He was attested on 23 Oct 1916 and went into Featherston Camp on 2 Jan 1917, as did Archie Wyeth, #440. They immediately become friends, and when volunteers were called for a few days later for the N.Z. Rifle Brigade, they both volunteered. On 21 Jan 1917 they moved to Trentham camp (by Route March) to join B Coy.,4th Battalion N.Z.R.B. On 10 Mar 1917 they embarked on a troopship, identity not known, for England. On 29 April 1917 they arrived in 'Sling Camp' on 29 April.
|Gregor, William (I629)
||William Henry was a porter on the South-east railways|
!CHRISTENING: Kent Family History Society, St. Mary Minster(Microfische 412)
1853-1902; ; ; ; ; 1 _MEDI Microfische
!MARRIAGE:Kent Family History Society, St. Mary Minster Marriages (Microfische
419) 1837-1903; ; ; ; ; 1 _MEDI Microfische
|Fuller, William Henry (I9848)
||William Henry went missing at the age of 18 ||SIEVERS, William Henry (I12724)
||William is recorded as a son of George and Marianne in the 1871 Census but did not travel to New Zealand with them in 1880. ||Kelk, William Phillipson (I15722)
||William is recorded as Luxdon and Elizabeth Ellen as Ellen ||Family F3725
||William John Hyslop |
Hyslop William John (Bill) Reg No 43055 24 Bat. 2 NZEF- At Lansdowne Court, Masterton on November 15 2006, in his 87th year.Loved husband of Mary (Deceased)and Marion. Loved father and father-In-law of Jan and Peter Wyeth, Sue and Rob Burridge, Chris and the late Jim Crutchley, Penny and Peter Gawith, Bill and Margaret, David and Lyn. Proud grandfather of all his grandchildren and one great grandson. Special thanks to the staff of Lansdowne Court for their wonderful care of our father. Messages to 6 Wingate Road, RD 11Opaki, Masterton. in lieu of flowers donations to the Lansdowne Court Patients Welfare Fund which may beleft in the church foyer would be appreciated. Friends are invited to attendBill's funeral service in St Matthew's Anglican Church, Church Street, Masterton on Monday, November 20 at 11:00am followed by private cremation in Masterton. Wairarapa Funeral Service FDANZ Griefcare Masterton.
|Hyslop, William John (I13568)
||William married as |
John William Thomson
||William Oliver BAYLISS bn c1869. He married Blanche CURTIS (under her previous married name of ORTON)at the Registrar's Office, Wanganui on 6 Jul 1909. Blanche had divorced her first husband Willoughby ORTON earlier in that year. William and Blanche had one daughter, Ngaire Blanche BAYLISS, c 1913 (a Wellington registration). |
Source Peter Williams, Lower Hutt 2 Mar 2008
||William Oliver migrated to Canada with his father and brother, Robert, to Workworth in Ontario. Oliver and his two sons migrated to Manitoulin Island (Barrie Island). There he lived until he died in 1895. ||Runnalls, Oliver (I4335)
||William Tankersley born 26 August 1876 married Lizzie Chamberlain 2nd Daughter 3rd child of Elizabeth (nee Wyeth) and Samuel Chamberlain. After sharing work on the family farm - "Forest Home" - he farmed at Rangitumau until his marriage to Lizzie Chamberlain in 1906. After several years farming at Neuman, he managed ?Dunvegan? at Mt Bruce from 1910-1920. In 1921 he purchased the farm "Glenside" at Mangatahi, near Hastings. Following his death on 23 August 1923 at the age of 46 years, his son William (Tim) - then only 16 years - managed the farm with the help of brother Robert and sister Helen. Tim remained at "Glenside' where he died in 1987 at 80 years of age. His son Robert now manages the property.|
|Tankersley, William (I304)
||Wilson Spite on Walter Spite |
Date: 4 Nov 1992 - 04 Nov 1992 By: Spite, Wilson Garfield
Wilson Spite records memories of his father Walter Garfield Spite who was born in Ravensbourne on 8 June 1887. Describes his father's family background, education, sporting interests, family cars and his career, starting as a clerk and then becoming an agent at Otautau. Explains why he was admitted by the Society of Accountants when it first started. Talks about his volunteering for World War I, being in the New Zealand Rifle Brigade at Egypt, the Somme and Passchendaele. Describes his work in Invercargill, Timaru and Waimate as a manager. Talks about his marriage to Muriel Hodges, a schoolteacher, in 1921.
Explains the origins of the New Zealand Land Company (NMA) and elaborates on how the firm worked, its agencies including shipping and its merger with Wrightsons. Talks about NMA's capital structure and efforts by Walter Garfield Spite to minimise farmers' debts in the Depression. Comments on the silting up of Oamaru harbour. Describes the Lease in Perpetuity (LIP) scheme and explains the wool appraisal scheme and the Mortgages Relief and Rehabilitation Act. Defines the North Otago NMA territory. Comments on the loyalty of farmers.
Venue - Oamaru : 1992
Interviewer(s) - Joy Green
Natl Library Ref: OHInt-0081/08
|Spite, Walter Garfield (I18385)
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Wilson, J.G. (I7302)
||Window Dresser ||McLeay, James Finlay (Jim) (I147)
||Window Dresser/Display Artist at JR McKenzies at the same time as Gordon White was caretaker. ||Wyeth, Gloria Janet (I2884)
||Wises 1894-95 Joseph Jnr Carpenter Rangiora ||Frost, Joseph (I11819)
||With Joseph born in 1856 as per the 1861 Census returns for the family of Henry Dewe Joseph would have been just 17 when the family emmigrated to New Zealand and left him in England. ||Dewe, Joseph (I22406)
||Woodham, Frank v Woodham, Lily Elizabeth and Henderson, Frank 1918 - 1918 Christchurch High Court ||Family F318
||Woodlands Cemetery records: Charles Thompson WARDEN buried 29 Apr 1904. H WARDEN no other details known |
Note: Death date is imprecise.
|Warden, Charles Thompson (I4563)
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Crawford, G.A. (I745)
||Woolcomber ||Skene, Joseph (I4159)
||Woolston / Heathcote Cemetery 2006 page 21|
Row K No. 213
Arthur Morton, eighth son of Elizabeth and John Ollivier, was born on 23 March 1851, emigrated with his parents and attended Christ's College from 1862-65. A popular student, he became, in adulthood, Fellow of Christ's College and, at his death, was President of the Old Boys' Association.
A businessman, Ollivier worked for several firms, eventually being in partnership with Trevor Grierson as an accountant and auditor.
Ollivier was an angler, mountaineer and gardener. In the latter field he enjoyed frequent success at Christchurch Horticultural Society shows. He played chess, being, in 1888, colonial champion. In rugby he played against Auckland and Otago.
A Canterbury representative cricketer, Ollivier first played against Otago at Hagley Park when but 16. He was chosen for his fielding ability but ?signalled his first appearance by making the only double figure - 11 - on the Canterbury side?. His batting did much to secure for Canterbury seven wins in a row. He was in the first Canterbury-Auckland match, played against the visiting English and was the most successful Canterbury batsman in a tour of Victoria in 1878. T. W. Reese wrote that Ollivier "was an admirable defensive bat and had many scores to his credit".
An injury prevented Ollivier from playing sport after 1883 but, for a number of years, he was the sole selector of Canterbury cricket teams. In 1893 he was appointed to
select the New Zealand team which played against New South Wales.
In Ollivier's youth, sporting teams met on public reserves. People came to watch and officials had to walk round begging the spectators to give money to cover the cost of the games. Arthur Ollivier pushed for the establishment of a ground which was to be owned by the sporting codes and where spectators must pay to get in. On 8 May 1880, at a meeting at Warner's Hotel it was decided that there should be floated the Canterbury Cricket and Athletic Sports Company.
Richard Harman and E. C. J. Stevens who represented offshore capitalists with money tied up in New Zealand came forward on behalf of a client, Benjamin Lancaster of Bournemouth, England. They offered land with an area of 10 acres three roods and 30 perches, the cost per acre being 260 pounds. This was part of Rural Section 62, of 50 acres, which Lancaster had purchased from the Canterbury Association in 1850.
In autumn 1881 the area was sown with Devonshire evergreen grass seed, the terrace turfed and a cinder running track laid in front of the terraces. On 28 July 1881 the
ground, now Jade Stadium, was named Lancaster Park.
Ollivier suffered a comparatively brief and painless illness, dying at 12.30 a.m. on 21 October 1897. He was 46 years old.
Officiating ministers at the funeral were Bishop Churchill Julius, Archdeacons Cholmondeley and Lingard and Canon Harper. Cricketers attended dressed in their club colours Hymns were sung by members of the St. Mark's choir, the Cathedral and Christ's College chapel boys and the Liedertafel. Messrs. Merton and Wallace conducted and C. F. Turner presided at the harmonium. The list of people who attended the funeral is a late Victorian Canterbury's who's who. Fifty-one lines of newsprint are devoted to the names of people who sent wreaths.
Arthur Morton Ollivier's gravestone was 'Erected by the Cricketers of New Zealand'.
Arthur's wife, Agnes, died on 4 February 1928.
The gravestone also recalls Hilda, wife of Keith, who died on 14 October 1937.
|Ollivier, Arthur Morton (I11868)
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Wyeth, J.M. (I867)
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Fraher, R.J. (I2103)
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Fraher, P.A. (I2106)
||WRIGHT (Mrs Charles) Death notice 01SEP1848 Death 43 late of Balmain Sydney Morning Herald 02SEP1848|
"DIED. At Balmain, on the 1st instant, Mrs. Charles Wright, aged forty-three."
WRIGHT Charles Death notice 01SEP1848 Death 43 at Balmain Maitland Mercury 06SEP1848
"At Balmain, on the 1st Sept., Mrs. Charles Wright, aged 43."
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Materman, H.M.J. (I4804)
||WYETH Charles 26 SHERRIFFS Elizabeth Ann 16 ||Family F24
||WYETH Joseph 23 ROSE Flora 21 ||Family F32
||WYETH Lucy Maria 19 DEWE George 27 ||Family F33
||WYETH Mary Jane 18 PHILLIPS James 27 ||Family F31
Nellie Florence (Nell):
Of Feilding. Passed away Tuesday 27 December 2016, at Ranfurly Manor Hospital and Rest Home, aged 88 years. Loved wife of the late William Robert (Charlie). Dearly loved mother and mother-in-law of Kath and Paul (Sydney), Geoffrey (Auckland), Paul and Sandra (Auckland), Lesley and Tim Horgan (Feilding), and Ally and Brent Murray (Upper Hutt). Loved Grandmother of Jeremy, Grant, and Gabrielle; Chloe, and Jerome; Helen, and Claire; Cameron, and Sam; Kate, and Emma. Loved Great-grandmother of Peata, Greer, and Sebastian, and Arthur. A lifetime friend of Lil and Ron Cruickshanks. All messages to the Wyeth Family, 10 St John's Close, Feilding. A celebration of Nell's life will be held at St John the Evangelist Anglican Church, 16 Camden Street, Feilding, on Wednesday 4 January 2017, at 11.00am.
Published in Manawatu Standard on Dec. 31, 2016
|Wheeler, Nellie Florence (I1917)
||WYETH, Noeline Mary|
Loved daughter of the late John and Violet Pedlar, sister of Tom Pedlar and sister-in-law of Pamela. Aunty to Laurie, Jan and Michael and their families.
Published in: Southland Times 19 March 2016
|Pedlar, Noeline Mary (I735)
||WYETH-BURROWS, Stanley Walter. Passed away peacefully on Tuesday 9 October 2012, aged 80 years. Loved father and father-in-law of Pauline, Lynda and Rodney, Bob and... New Zealand Herald October 11, 2012 ||Burrows-Wyeth, Stanley Walter (I4868)
||Wyeth; In loving memory of Margaret Wyeth born 12 January 1859 died 12 April 1942. "In memory's name we shall keep her because she was one of the best." ||McLeod, Margaret Rachel Ann (I296)
||Wyvern was |
In the preliminary attacks made on August 21st and 22nd, in order to gain the general line of the Arras-Albert railway, from which the big attack was to be launched, the 3rd New Zealand (Rifle) Brigade, which was in the front line, took part. It also took part in the main attack on the 23rd; but the remainder of the Division did not go into action till the morning of the 24th. In the meantime, the 2nd Brigade, which was in reserve to the Division, had moved forward at daybreak on the 21st and bivouacked in the neighbourhood of Sailly-au-Bois. The 1st Canterbury Battalion's bivouacs were in the Chateau de la Haie Switch, near the Chateau itself, and the 2nd Battalion's in a small valley, on the north-western outskirts of Sailly. Here the brigade remained till the 23rd, when it moved forward, and bivouacked for the night just to the south of the village of Bucquoy. Orders for next day's operations were received by the brigadier at midnight.
The 1st and 2nd Brigades were ordered to make the attack on the New Zealand Division's frontage on the 24th. The 1st Brigade's task was to advance as far as a line from the southern corner of Loupart Wood to a quarry on the Bapaume-Achiet le Grand railway between Grévillers and Biefvillers; and included the capture of Loupart Wood and the village of Grévillers. On the left of the 1st Brigade, the 37th Division was to capture Biefvillers. The 2nd Brigade was to pass through the 1st Brigade and the 37th Division, and capture Bapaume and the high ground to the east of that town. Tanks were to take part in the attack; and as, owing to the distance of the advance, no creeping barrage could be provided for the 2nd Brigade, the majority of the tanks were allotted to this brigade.
The 1st Brigade attacked at 4.30 a.m., and by 8 a.m. the 2nd Brigade headquarters received information that Grévillers had been captured. Biefvillers, however, was still in the enemy's hands, and the 2nd Brigade was ordered to capture the village. By 5.30 a.m. the battalions had arrived at their assembly areas, the 1st Canterbury Battalion (on the right) and the 2nd Canterbury Battalion (on the left) astride the Grévillers-Achiet le Petit road, south-east of the Albert-Arras railway, the 2nd Otago Battalion between the railway and Achiet IE Petit, and the 1st Otago Battalion to the north-west of that village. In the 2nd Brigade's attack, the 2nd Otago Battalion replaced the 1st Canterbury Battalion, which remained in its assembly area all day.
The country which now lay in front of the New Zealand Division was part of the area which lay between the British front line of 1916 and the famous Hindenburg Line, to which the Germans had withdrawn in 1917. There had been no heavy fighting on this ground at any time, and consequently it was very little cut up by shell-fire. Before the German offensive of 1918, this part of the country had been used as a British rest and training area: hutted camps abounded, but the villages had been destroyed by the enemy on his retirement in 1917. For many miles in front of the Division the country was open and gently rolling, with small woods here and there.
At 8.30 am. the 2nd Otago and 2nd Canterbury Battalions moved forward in lines of sections in file behind a screen of light page 250and heavy tanks. The order of battle of the 2nd Canterbury Battalion, from right to left, was 12th, 13th, and 1st Companies, with the 2nd Company in reserve. The first opposition was encountered on the high ground between Grévillers and Biefvillers, where the enemy put down a very heavy artillery barrage, and the advancing troops came under heavy machine-gun fire from the Bapaume-Albert road, from Avesnes, and from Biefvillers and the high ground east of that village. The 1st Company was not able to enter Biefvillers, and attempted to work round it from the south, but was held up by machine-gun fire from the trenches east of the village. One platoon, however, succeeded in establishing itself in a trench to the north-east of Biefvillers. The 13th Company had worked further forward almost into Avesnes, while the 12th Company was mixed up with the 2nd Otago Battalion, halfway between Avesnes and Grévillers.
The enemy still held Sapignies (to the north) and the high ground between that village and Biefvillers, and were in the sunken road north-east of the latter village. The 2nd Company was therefore ordered to take up a position north-west of the village, to protect the left flank. By noon this company had driven the enemy from the sunken road and a trench to the north-east of it. The German machine-gunners in Biefvillers were now almost cut off, but succeeded in escaping down the trenches to the north-east of the village.
At 2.30 p.m. parties of the enemy were seen assembling in the valley between Biefvillers and the Bapaume-Arras road, but their attempt to work forward was stopped by Lewis-gun and rifle fire, and by the help of the artillery. Further enemy concentration at Sapignies was reported by aeroplane at 4.30 p.m., but prompt artillery action prevented a counter-attack being delivered from there. During the afternoon the 13th Company was withdrawn from the posts it had established near Avesnes: this step was taken because the posts formed a dangerous salient in our line, and their garrisons were exposed to deadly enfilade rifle and machine-gun fire from close range. The new line ran east of Grévillers and Biefvillers, with the 12th Company south of the Bapaume-Achiet le Grand railway, the 13th Company between the railway and Biefvillers, and the 1st Company east of that village. The 2nd Company remained in its previous position on the left flank.
|Harris, Edward Wyvern Owen (I1249)
Surname KIRKWOOD Colin George
Surname WADSWORTH Ellen Louisa
Surname SUNNEX Ellen Louisa
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Gerring, K.F. (I6341)
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Knell, J.M. (I9172)
||Years in New Zealand 48 years ||Dewe, Fanny (I22500)
Given Names«tab»William Lawrence
Given Names«tab»Ruth Augusta May
Also Known as
Given Names«tab»Ruth Augusta May
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Portenski, M. (I951)
||Youngest daughter of Mr F. Nimot, Carterton ||Nimot, Alice Mabel (I17891)
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Smith, C.R. (I617)
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Family F3435
||«b»1851 Census record for RACHEL FROST,|
«/b»Name RACHEL FROST, Age 60, Estimated Year of Birth 1791, Relationship to Head of Household WIFE, Occupation ? Address Twinsted Green, District Sudbury, Bulmer, Administrative County Suffolk, Birth Place Pebmarsh, Birth County ESSEX,
|Eldred, Rachel (I391)
||At least one living or private individual is linked to this note - Details withheld. ||Collison, M. (I12092)