Hamiltons, Central Otago, Otago, New Zealand


Notes: Approximately 20 minutes drive from Ranfurly and 10km from Waipiata, Hamiltons is just above Patearoa and En Hakkore Religious Retreat, which was originally built as a tuberculosis sanitarium in the 1930s.

The area is named after Captain Hamilton, who along with two others drew up and took up Run 204, know as Hamiltons Station. In late 1863, gold was reported and the field initially proved very rich, yielding thousands of ounces of gold. Some 2000 miners first worked the area, peaking at 4000 in 1864. Ironically, the surviving township of Patearoa once relied heavily on Hamiltons for shops and services. The town of Hamiltons, which included 25 liquor outlets and 40 stores, did not last long, although a few miners did stay and continue hydraulic sluicing.

Any sign of the town had all but gone by the early 1900s, though sluicing scars can still be seen and the irrigation dam remains. Alongside Hamilton Road, the restored Hamiltons Cemetery rests behind a stone wall. It is a lonely tribute to Hamiltons past and a wonderful example of history, preserved. 

Text reproduced with permission from - Central Otago NZ Website (www.centralotagonz.com)

Photo reproduced with permission from Otago Central Rail Trail
Trust Website


Location : Latitude: -45.24915037997777, Longitude: 170.14320373535156


Matches 1 to 2 of 2

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Birth    Person ID 
1 Tregonning, May  06 Apr 1879Hamiltons, Central Otago, Otago, New Zealand I14169
2 Tregonning, Russell Hooper  17 Mar 1880Hamiltons, Central Otago, Otago, New Zealand I16139


Matches 1 to 1 of 1

   Last Name, Given Name(s)    Buried    Person ID 
1 Hooper, Susanna  Hamiltons, Central Otago, Otago, New Zealand I14041