Ruru Lawn Cemetery opened in 1941, covers 15.1427 hectares and has granite and bronze plaques set at ground level. It has a large Returned Services Association section and separate areas are set aside for different denominations. A new ashes area has been developed adjacent to block 4 at the southern end of the cemetery.
There is an ongoing programme to construct kerb around the plaque’s. This will alleviate the subsidence of plaque and ground maintenance issues.
The victims of the infamous 1947 Ballantyne’s fire are buried here and there is a memorial to them on site.
Cemetery managed by Christchurch City Council Click here for